#Event Diary – 27th Januray, 2012 #Event Diary: 28th January, 2012 #Minor earthquake hits Delhi today #Event Diary – 29th January, 2012 #Event Diary – 30th January, 2012 #Ancient History #Light: Reflection and Refraction #Introduction to Java #Event Diary – 1st Feb, 2012 #Importance of Lahore Session of INC #Computer Networks #The Network Interface Card (NIC)
Knowledge Diary – 1st September 2012, Saturday
- Admiral Devendra Kumar Joshi (DK Joshi) took over as the new Indian Navy chief on 31 August 2012.
- The Bhilai Steel Plant, on 24 August 2012 won the prestigious Prime Minister’s Trophy for the 10th time.
- The book No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama bin Laden written by a former Navy SEAL.
- Mexican archaeologists in the first week of August 2012 discovered a 2000-year-old sculpture of a jaguar in Izapa.
- Barclays, the British banking giant, appointed Antony Jenkins as its new Group Chief Executive on 30 August 2012.
- Raghuram Rajan, former chief economist of International Monetary Fund (IMF) took over as the Chief Economic Advisor in the Finance Ministry on 29 August 2012.
- England’s test team captain Andrew Strauss announced his retirement from international cricket on 29 August 2012.
- Aditi Mukherjee, a Delhi based scientist, won the prestigious Norman Borlaug Award in Field Research and Application.
- Rear Admiral G Ashok Kumar assumed the charge as the Southern Naval Command Chief, Kochi on 28 August 2012.
- Hashim Amla, the star South African Batsman, became the fastest player to score 3000 runs in one-day international on 29 August 2012.
- Jammu and Kashmir Bank on 20 August 2012 won four national awards-The Sunday Standard FINWIZ-2012 Best Bankers’ Awards.
- Jammu and Kashmir Bank was also awarded Best Banker in Financial Inclusion and Customer Friendliness and declared runner up for Best Banker in Priority Sector Growth and Agricultural Credit.
- Full Form of CEC is Central Empowered Committee .
- State-owned gas utility GAIL India on 26 August 2012 signed a contract with French energy giant GDF Suez to import 0.8 million tonnes of liquefied natural gas (LNG) from 2013 to 2014.
- The Ministry of Home Affairs on 27 August 2012 appointed P M Nair as the Director General, National Disaster Response Force & Civil Defence (NDRF & CD).
- The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) held the eleventh Energy Efficient Summit in HICC, Novotel Hyderabad.
- Celebrated Sarod exponent Amjad Ali Khan, vocalist Girija Devi and famous writer Ruskin Bond were conferred the Delhi government’s Lifetime Achievement Awards on 24 August 2012.
- Full Form of NRO is National Reconciliation Ordinance.
- Full Form of REC is Rural Electrification Corporation.
- India, Iran and Afghanistan agreed to work for expanding trade and transit co-operation through Chabahar port in Iran.
- The Senkaku Islands are located in the East China Sea between Japan, and the Republic of China.
- The Air Force version of micro-light pilot-less target aircraft Lakshya-1 was successfully test-flown from the launch complex-2 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur, Orissa on 23 August 2012.
- Ankur Mittal won the bronze medal in double trap in the fourth International junior shotgun Cup in Orimattila, Finland.
- Full Form of DTA is Domestic Tariff Area.
- Indian-American entrepreneur Karl Mehta was selected among the 18 Presidential Innovation Fellows who would work on five high-impact projects in the US capital Washington DC.
- Curiosity was launched from Cape Canaveral on 26 November 2011 aboard the MSL spacecraft.
- Curiosity successfully landed on Aeolis Palus in Gale Crater on Mars on 6 August 2012.
- The Castle Naggar, Himachal Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation’s prime hotel in the picturesque Kullu valley, was notified under the heritage status by the Union Tourism ministry on 23 August 2012.
- Footwear maker Relaxo Footwear on 22 August 2012 signed Bollywood actor Katrina Kaif as brand ambassador for its Flite brand.
- Full Form of DEIT is Department of Electronics and Information Technology.