Finally! We have the iconic pony car from the American carmaker. Ford has finally fulfilled the wishes of many car enthusiasts in India and brought us the sixth generation Mustang GT equipped with a 5.0-litre V8 under the hood. Ford India first unveiled the Mustang GT in the country right before the 2016 Auto Expo, promising a launch in the second half of 2016 and was Ford show-stopper at the expo. But it surely comes with a heavy price tag thanks to the CBU route the car has taken. Well, if you want it you’ll take it. Right? After all, luxury has its price!
Here are some facts about this beauty that you should know!
- Before the sixth generation Mustang, Ford never had a right-hand-drive model. Now you know why car enthusiasts are celebrating the way they are. Ford has created history by launching this model in India. Although, over the years there have been many Indian enthusiasts who imported the car to India, during times when the road norms were more lenient. This is the first time that they can drive guilt-free! This is the time they can flaunt their favourite car with pride and élan.
- Ford Mustang is a globally loved model. Since Mustang went on sale in 1964, Ford has sold more than 90 lakh units of the model. Globally, Ford sold around 1.1 lakh units of Mustang in 2015, the first year of global availability of the car, including in right hand drive markets. Needless to say, among the lovers of this car are many Indians whose wait is finally over. But the product that is in front of them now is totally worth the long wait! You just have to look at the features of the car to agree on this.
- India gets the Ti-VCT V8 variant, and not the humbler V6 or the EcoBoost. The India-spec version of the car will come with only the aforementioned range-topping 5.0-litre V8 petrol engine. The motor has been detuned from the Indian market, which now churns out 395.5bhp, a good 40bhp less than what the American version produces. The output is sent to a six-speed Getrag dual-clutch automatic transmission with paddle shifters, to clock a top speed of 250kph. So much of permutations and combinations to bring the icon to India!
- Ford offers the new Mustang GT with four different driving modes. The modes are Norman, Sport+, Track, and Snow/Wet. Each mode delivers power output as per its requirement. Isn’t that incredible? In-built customization to suit your needs.
- The Aggressive Front Profile It is the side profile of the car that announces the icon that the car is. With the long hood, slopping coupe-like roof line, 19-inch Magnetic Gloss paint machined aluminum wheels, and a protruding tail section, it is no less than a classic. The rear end on the other hand comes with three dimensional tri-bar LED tail lamps and the GT badge at the centre all on a glossy black surface. This Mustang combines the classic style of its predecessors and the novel features that make it worth the price.
- A safe haven for drivers The car is not just a racetrack stallion, as its logo suggests. Precautions for road safety also come along — eight airbags including knee airbags, crash sensors, safety belt pre-tensioners and Ford MyKey. The 2X2 sports coupè is packed with amazing features like selectable driving modes from a six-way adjustable driver seat, automatic projector headlamps, rain-sensing wipers, heated and powered outside rear view mirrors, and passenger seats with power lumbar support.
Now that’s what you call a complete package, don’t you?