Elevation of senior lawyer Uday Lalit as judge of the Supreme Court has been given a nod by the Central Government. The decision was taken by the Supreme Court collegium headed by Chief Justice of India R.M. Lodha. Mr.Lalit hails from Maharashtra and had joined the Bar in June 1983. He has been practising in the Supreme Court since 1986.
Uday Lalit was cleared for the SC judge’s post after the government refused to accept senior lawyer Gopal Subramanium for judgeship.
Others who are being elevated are:
- Chief Justice of Meghalaya High Court – Prafull Chandra Pant
- Chief Justice of the Gauhati High Court – Abhay Manohar
- Chief Justice of the Jharkhand High Court – R.Banumathi
Some key cases handled by Mr.Lalit are given below:
- He represented Amit Shah in the Tulsi Prajapati encounter case
- He had appeared from the state government side opposing the bail plea of Dr Binayak Sen
- He also appeared for actor Salman Khan in the black buck poaching case in 1998 – The case was about killing of two Chinkara deer and a black buck during a film shooting in Rajasthan.
- Mr.Lalit appeared for the former Chief Minister of Punjab, Amarinder Singh in the corruption case
- He represents the black money king pin Hasan Ali as well
- He represented former cricketer and BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu in culpable homicide not amounting to murder case
- Mr.Lalit has served in the lawyer’s panel for the Maharashtra government and the Centre for 15 years and five years respectively
- Uday Lalit was also appointed for Rs1.76 lakh crores scam involves many politicians, bureaucrats and a few telecom companies – which is one of the biggest scam in the history of India.