Those chemical reactions in which reduction and oxidation takes place simultaneously.
Types of redox reactions:
- Intermolecular Redox reaction
(Mainly occurs in combination reactions)
- Intramolecular Redox reactions
(Mainly occur in decomposition reactions)
- Disproportionation Reactions
INTERMOLECULAR REDOX REACTIONS:
- Those redox reactions in which among 2 different substances, one substance gets oxidised and the other different substance get reduced simultaneously.
- These are generally combination reactions.
INTRAMOLECULAR REDOX REACTIONS:
(within the same molecule)
- Those reactions in which, within the same molecule, one element gets oxidised and the other different element gets redused simultaneously.
- These reactions are generally decomposition reactions in which a large molecule is broken into small molecules.