Actor and model Rohit Khandelwal, 26, became the first ever Indian (in fact, the first Asian!) to win the Mr. World beauty pageant yesterday. Rohit competed with 46 contestants from around the world and was awarded the coveted title at the grand finale held in Southport, United Kingdom. Khandelwal defeated Fernando Alvarez, 21, from Puerto Rico, with Aldo Esparza Ramírez, 26, from Mexico, placing them second and third respectively.
From a Hyderabad-bred boy to a ground staff for SpiceJet to a technical support assistant at Dell to a popular face in television commercials to a historic winner at the world beauty pageant- the journey couldn’t have been more exciting.
Find out more about the brand new and the first ever Indian Mr. World here.
- Rohit graduated from the Aurora Degree College, and worked at SpiceJet before working with Dell Computers as a technical assistant.
- He relocated to Mumbai from Hyderabad to pursue MBA. It was there that a career in modeling unfolded and the path to his dreams was uncovered.
- He has appeared in popular television commercials, including in one with actor Kareena Kapoor.
- Rohit has also worked in shows like Yeh Hai Aashiqui and Million Dollar Girls.
- Rohit was crowned Provogue Personal Care Mr. India World 2015.
- He has been trained by various experts in the fashion & glamour industry including Sabira Merchant, Supreet Bedi, Jamuna Pai, Dr.Sandesh Mayekar, Bodyholics, Kromakay, Amit Khanna, Swaroop Medara, Rukshana Eisa.
- He was given special Football and Circuit training to increase his endurance and shine at the various physical challenges at the pageant.
- Rohit also picked up the Multimedia Award at the competition.
- His first words after winning the title were- “I still can’t believe that I have won the Mr. World title. Being the first Indian ever to win this title internationally makes me immensely proud and ecstatic. It’s a dream come true and am very thankful to the Miss India Organization for giving me this opportunity and guiding me throughout my exciting journey. My family, friends and my fans have been a constant support for me and this wouldn’t have been possible without the support of my well-wishers.”
We wish him good luck on his journey ahead and hope he makes a difference in the lives of many. That’s what a youth icon does best, right?