Oldest existing newspaper : “Bombay Samachar” – Gujarati daily – published from mumbai since 1822.
- India is the second largest publisher of newspapers in the world.
- Total number of registered newspapers : 73,146 – according to the report of Registrar of Newspapers for India – as on 31st March, 2009.
- The largest number of newspapers and periodical registered in any Indian language : Hindi – 29,094.
- The state with the largest number of registered newspapers : Uttar Pradesh – 11,543.
- The state with the second largest number of registered newspapers : Delhi – 9,961.
- The total circulation of newspapers : 5,79,53,373.
- The largest circulated daily : The Hindu – English – Chennai – 14,20,368.
- The second largest circulated daily : Ananda Bazar Patrika – Bengali – Kolkata – 12,63,259.
- Apart from English and 22 languages listed in the constitution the newspapers are registered in 100 other languages and dialects.
- Orissa has the distinction of publishing newspapers in 18 out of 22 principal languages.