Latest technologies around world
INSAT-3D proximity to its orbital home
Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has confirmed that INSAT-3D which is the most advanced weather satellite reached an intermediate orbit. This intermediate orbit is much closer to the 36,000 km outside the atmosphere of Earth. And it is the final orbital home of INSAT-3D which is 36,000 km high geostationary orbit, its final orbital home.
Significances of INSAT-3D
- INSAT-3D was launched by Ariane-5 launch vehicle on July 26 into a Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit with 250 km perigee (nearest point to earth) and 35,923 km apogee (farthest point from earth).
- The inclination of INSAT-3D’s orbit was 3.495 degrees with respect to the equatorial plane.
Following these specifications, two major orbit raising maneuvers were performed on INSAT-3D from ISRO’s master control Facility at Hassan with help of firing satellite’s Liquid Apogee Motor (LAM).
Two major orbit maneuver performance
- In the first orbital maneuver which was performed on July 27, INSAT-3D LAM fired for duration of 65 minutes which results in rising of perigee to 15,780 km and apogee to 35,800 km.
- In the second orbit raising maneuver, satellite LAM was fired for duration of 24 minutes and subsequently, perigee again rose to 31,800km while apogee remained to 35,795 km.
Third orbit raising maneuver is scheduled and it is expected that it will touch the highest geostationary altitude of 36,000 km.
First ever deep UV laser device by China
Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) has launched a deep ultraviolet (DUV) solid-state laser device, this is the first ever revolution of such technology in world. According to the CAS President, Bai Chunli statement that successful testing of the device suggests the academy’s dedication to major innovation and creativity that break though in development of new things.
Invention of DUV laser device:
- The use of potassium beryllium fluoroborate (KBBF) once stalled the project of UV laser device. Then, Chen Chuangtian, a CAS member along with Xu Zuyuan, a member of the Chinese Academy of Engineering turned to the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology for help.
- Member of Chinese Academy of Engineering, Mr. Xu said that they were allowed to use their labs because Chinese mainland research institutes did not have similar ones at that time and after huge efforts they invented KBBF prism coupling device.
- The device gains the first ever output of 1,064-nanometer’s 6-harmonic frequency multiplication, shortening the diode-pumped solid-state laser (DPL)’s wavelength to 177.3nm, which is quite astonishing.
Based on this achievement, later the team decided to develop an applicable DUV-DPL. KBBF prism coupling device based on DPL technology offers a smaller size, higher energy resolution and higher photon influx density.